l’Auxerrois, 2 Place du Louvre, 1er
On August 24, 1572 at the stroke of midnight, three bells on the Eglise St-Germain-l’Auxerrois sounded signaling the massacre of Protestants on Saint Bartholomew’s Day. The Catholics and Protestants had been fighting in Paris for a half-century over religious differences. The King ordered the massacre of Protestants because of recent rumors that the Protestants were going to kill him. Three thousand Protestants were slaughtered in Paris that night and over eight thousand in other French cities.