Jardin du Luxembourg, Boulevard Saint-Michel, 6e
On June 14, 1940, Paris fell to the Germans. During the occupation, the Palace and grounds of the Jardin du Luxembourg became a German stronghold. The Third Luftwaffe, an air division, headquartered themselves in the Palace and positioned blockhouses amid the trees. The German Schutzstaffel (SS) mined the palace and gardens with several tons of TNT and then arrayed themselves and their tanks on the lawns. The Luxembourg was the first German strongpoint in Paris to be attacked by the Forces Francaises de l’Interieur, a part of the Resistance, and the last to fall.